# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

South film songs are more melodious than Bollywood

South film songs are more melodious than Bollywood, Shweta Pandit south film songs melodious than Bollywood, Shweta Pandit south film songsSouth film songs are more melodious than Bollywood:


Singer Shweta Pandit is in a happy place these days. The mesmerising voice behind many hit songs in Bollywood and Tollywood (Mohabbatein, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, Mere Brother Ki Dulhan, Ladies vs Ricky Bahl, Kotha Bangaru Lokam, Badrinath, Shirdi Sai and Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu and more), has added another feather to her cap.

She recently bagged the Best Singer (Female) Award for the song Amaraaraama from the film Shirdi Sai.The elated Shweta says, "It's definitely a huge honour to be winning this award, especially for the song Amaraaraama, which happens to be one of my favourites. I'm very thankful to MM Keeravani sir for
giving me this opportunity."

The singer who is shuttling between Bollywood and Tollywood projects, adds, "I enjoy singing for South films as the songs here are much more melodious than Hindi numbers. I've been lucky enough to have sung some lovely Telugu tracks that have showcased my singing skills."

In fact, Shweta, who loves singing romantic numbers, has a bone to pick with Bollywood. "These days, Bollywood female singers get popular only if they sing items numbers. The romantic, melodious songs have almost taken a backseat. Though I've sung quite a few fast-paced and racy item numbers, people still ask me, 'Shweta, have you sung an item song yet?'

All South films meanwhile, offer plenty of opportunities to playback singers like me. Anyway, I'm happy with the way my career is progressing right now, because I don't want to be categorised in any one genre. I don't want to be a 'speciality' singer, I want to be versatile," says Shweta, who is "looking forward to singing for music directors like Yuvan Shankar Raja and Mickey J Mayer."

Shweta has more reasons to be excited. She is all all set to make her acting debut in Bejoy Nambiar's bi-lingual (Hindi and Tamil), David, starring Vikram, Jiiva and Neil Nitin Mukesh. The movie will be dubbed in Telugu too. "The offer came to me as a surprise. Director Bejoy Nambiar, who has assisted Mani Ratnam sir, likes listening to South film songs and my song, Nenani Neevani from Kotha Bangaru Lokam, is his favourite. So, when he learnt that I sang it, he called me to appreciate my work and also wanted me to meet him.

I was under the impression that he wants me to sing in his next film, but when I met him, much to my surprise, he offered me a role. Initially, I felt he's kidding and I told him I can't act. But he told me that I was perfect for the role as he wanted someone like me, a girl next door, to play the part of a teenage tomboy," says Shweta.

Talking about the role, she adds, "I play Alice, a Mumbai girl. Though my role in the film opposite Jiiva is small, it is a very important one. Moreover, it was amazing working with Jiiva, who helped me with my Tamil lines. In exchange, I taught him how to hold the guitar and mimic the mannerisms of a musician as he plays a guitarist in the film. Since we were shooting together for more than a month, we became good friends."

The most exciting part however, was meeting South superstar Vikram, admits Shwetha. "I always liked Vikram sir, but after meeting him, I've become a bigger fan. He is an amazing man and I couldn't believe that a superstar like him could be so down-to-earth. In fact, everything about him is so energetic. I've learnt a lot from him. I sang a romantic song in the film, which is picturised on Vikram and Isha Sharvani. He complimented both my acting and singing skills in the movie."

So, will we see more of Shweta on the big screen? "Of course, after this wonderful experience, I'd love to do bigger roles if given a chance," she signs off.

One Click...Get Free Facebook Updates
Like us on Facebook

Leave a Reply